My first host. Went off smoother than I had expected. So I will be encouraging more.
After rounding up some information about where to visit (they have a full day in Toronto), I found out I could offer a lot of information. I live in a great location, so it was easy to pull stuff out of the woodwork for them. Downtown Toronto has a lot of interesting destinations.
Some things I learned:
- Before they arrive, arrange for food, food preferences, special needs.
- When they arrive, get laundry started asap. While they didn't need any, and they arrived quite late, laundry takes time. I realized they would have had time to do a single load. Optimize time.
- Test any inflatable beds before they arrive. Nice to have it working so they can get a good night's sleep. Mine didn't, and I fixed it within 30 minutes of them leaving for their full day in Toronto. My bad.
- Might want to keep some written and measured (in km & miles) directions and distances for people who arrive by train, at night. GPS directions and/or locations might help as well.
- Might want to keep a set of downtown maps that fit on printed paper, with notable trails and destinations.
This was effortless. I will be doing this again.